Monday, January 4, 2010

Dezato Mochi Ice Cream

In my post about Dezato Mochi, I mentioned Dezato's offering of mochi ice cream. Before the Christmas break, I headed over to Dezato Cafe to purchase some. There were 6 ice cream flavors to choose from - chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coffee, mango, and green tea. An order of mochi ice cream, priced at P175, has 6 pieces. It can also be purchased individually at P35. The pricelist at Dezato's multiply site shows P150 for an order of 6, obviously not updated.

I bought 4 orders of mochi ice cream. 2 for the family, and 2 to be given away. Half had 2 pcs. of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry each and the other half had 2 pcs. of vanilla, strawberry, and green tea each, because they had already ran out of chocolate. I hurried home, excited to try one and possibly relive a Dreyer's mochi moment. I tried a piece of chocolate mochi ice cream first upon getting home. It was still frozen, too frozen in fact to be eaten. But my excitement got the better of me and I ended up disappointed. It was like eating chocolate ice cream covered in ice.

My sister chose the strawberry variant, and said it was good. I tried hers, still no moment. She had the chocolate one next and enjoyed it immensely. What had just happened? Did I build up the taste of mochi ice cream in my mind that the actual taste fell short of my expectations? My dad tried it and liked it as well. I'm convinced that I had sabotaged my own enjoyment. I'm suddenly reminded of an episode of How I Met Your Mother entitled Rebound Bro, where Ted was worried that something Stella hadn't had for 5 years would disappoint her because she probably built it up in her mind.

I decided to give it another chance, I bought a dozen after all. This time, I waited patiently for the mochi to thaw a bit. It was better but still not as good as I had hoped. I resolved to forget the Dreyer's moment and just enjoy Dezato's, enjoy the sensation of the cold sticky outer mochi and the flavor of the ice cream inside. The ice cream was typical, probably store bought. But I know better to stay away from green tea next time. It just isn't for everybody.

2 microwaveable containers were emptied after just a day. 1 container supposed to be given away was opened and promptly finished off a few days later. Not so bad for something I didn't think was that good ;-)

No comments: