Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Savory's Big Chicken Chop

Ever since my Taiwan trip in April of 2007, I've been on a quest for something similar to the chicken chop (ji pai) being sold in stalls at the night market (Shilin). I can still remember the atmosphere at Shilin, the people lining up at the chicken chop stalls, and the vendor calling out the orders. I wish to be in Taiwan again, if only to have a taste of the chicken chop again - fresh off the fryer, hot and slightly spicy (just as I ordered it).

To tell the truth, my quest is not so much a quest as me waiting to chance upon a place that offers this. The closest thing I could find so far is Ersao's chicken steak but sadly, it doesn't really come close.

Then came my recent visit to Savory Escolta. Posters of the "Big Chicken Chop", Savory's latest offering, were all over the place. The words chicken chop and Taiwan excited me. Could it be that my long wait is finally over?

When the order of chicken chop came, I quickly take a bite. Salty... tender... but no hint of spicyness. Disappointed yet again, I continued eating. It's actually not bad, better in fact than Ersao's chicken steak which I've been settling for. Savory's version is just a tad too salty, and could use some spicyness. For now, it will have to do. Next time, I'll try adding Ersao's chili powder to Savory's chicken chop and see how that works out ;-)

No comments: